Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Bird’s Eye View

Coming back from New Braunfels last month, I wanted to stop in some different places. I had been wanting to visit Smithville, TX. This is the where Sandra Bullock goes home to in the movie Hope Floats. I found this cute bird cage Dixie’s Den off Hwy 71. I spent a whole $10! I also filled up my the back of my Commander with other goodies. SCORE!
Bird cage Before
I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do with it. I was digging around in the laundry room and came across a Hemma light kit I had bought from Ikea years ago. It retails for a whopping $5 these days!
HEMMA Cord set IKEA
Eureka! I painted the bird cage with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch in Heirloom White. Just a light coat. I dropped the light from the top of the cage and cut 2 strips of canvas drop cloth to weave through the cage to diffuse the light.
I love how it turned out!
Summer 2012 005
Summer 2012 006
Summer 2012 002
Summer 2012 004
Y’all have a great week!
Love, Whyt

Linked to:
Home Stories A2ZPhotobucketPhotobucketFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
shabby creek cottageA Diamond in the StuffToday's Creative Blog
The Shabby NestFunky_Junk's_Party_Junk_link_party_150sshbutton







23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's why I was asking about the cage stand! :-)

      Delete
  2. oh. my. goodness. That is wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Shannon! I have so much fun being crafty!

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Decorative and useful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I also stopped by Guilded Junque. Soo cute!

      Delete
  4. What a cute idea!! I just saved an couple old cages, one I've painted and am using as a feeder (mind you the chipmunks like it better than the birds!) and the other...still not sure what I'm doing with it. Too big for a light in the house, but might work outside!
    Thanks for the tip, saw you at Debbiedoos Newbie Party.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Whyt's Whimsy... Didn't know this about blogger either, UGH!

      Delete
    2. And thanks for your visit & comment! Nice to meet you. :)

      Delete
  5. You did a fabulous job! I love bird cage decor!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bird cages, and you transformed that in a really fun way! I'm your newest follower (a fellow newbie at Debbiedoo's) Hope you stop by and say hello :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That. is. AWESOME! I love it! Thanks for linking up with the Weekend Blog Walk! New follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable. I love it uniqueness! Great find and great job re-purposing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool is that? It looks great! I love the shadows it casts on the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. Please come back and link up again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute light! :) I never find old birdcages.

    great job Whytney!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I like the pattern it makes on the wall. The canvas drop cloth was a clever idea...nobody wants a big honkin' light staring 'em in the face! Came here via CCC, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. My. Gosh. I love this!!!! I've bypassed so many birdcages but no more!!!!

    Am sharing this over at I Love That Junk and other various places tonight! :) Thanks for linking up to Party Junk / Unique Lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw this at I Love That Junk. Shared on Twitter, Facebook, and Google. Love the way you used the cage. Good idea. Also, the drop cloth light diffuser was very original, at least i have not seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love this idea!!!! I would just LOVE to make one for our new backyard covered patio area when it is finished! I am a complete sucker for all birdie things! And the tip about using the burlap to diffuse the light is just plain genius! Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweet comments are greatly appreciated!